Sunday, September 18, 2005

If I die, say nice things about me.. even if they aren't true.

Work has been pretty good for the most part.

Currently I'm home for a few days but I'll be heading to Mississippi and Oklahoma when I return. The last 2 weeks have been spent in the Atlanta area and Alabama. Good hotels are getting harder to come by the further west and south we go, because of Hurricane Katrina. The clerks tell you that there are a lot of business travelers and that's why they are full, but when you look in the lobby it'll have an extended family eating Cajun potluck which means they are displaced residents. It's interesting that the hotels won't tell you that though. Perhaps they are afraid of some sort of backlash? I've seen a few hotels that are taking the opposite approach and saving 10 rooms only for displaced people. The whole experience has been surreal. I've met a lot of FEMA folks along the way too. I feel sorry for them, with such an impossible job at hand.

Now to the part where I may or may not die and you are required to say nice things:

Friday afternoon I flew out of Memphis, TN and that went as smoothly as air transportation can go these days. I flew to Milwaukee, WI and then a rental car courtesy of Hertz, and I was home. The minute I get home, I got on the internet because I haven't been able to for almost a week and I come across a news story where the feds arrested an Egyptian going to school in Memphis. In his apartment was a pilot's uniform, maps of the airport, videos on how to fly via GPS, etc. They only arrested one man. How much would you like to bet there are others in a cell that hasn't been captured?