Wednesday, March 16, 2005

An Army of One

I've been in a little funk the last few days. It seems like I get this way once or twice a year and it usually passes with time, but each time it comes back it digs at me a little deeper.

It's not really depression, or anything like that.. It just feels like I'm running in place and not making progress sometimes. Here is a little recap of what's going on in my life at this moment:

1. I'm divorced.
2. I have two wonderful kids I only see on the weekends.
3. I work in sales. I don't really like working in sales, but it seems that's where life has taken me these days.
4. I'm currently not doing as well in my job as I'd like, so I'm not happy about that.
5. I'm single, and it appears that I'll be that way for the forseeable future.
6. Since I'm not doing well in sales, I'm not doing well on the income front.
7. All of my friends have recently moved out of town for various reasons. I'm constantly bored.

So, as you can see life is peachy these days. Now, I don't dwell on it all day long or sit alone in tears, but it's frustrating because, as I said before, I feel like I'm running in place. Now to figure out what one does about this fine situation I've put myself in. I know the answer, but at times I'm afraid to acknowledge it I think. The answer is the U.S. Army. This isn't some 9/11 guilt trip or anything like that. I was in AND out of the Army before Osama Bin Laden was a household name. Looking back, the Army was a giant pain in the ass sometimes, because I was young and wanted to change things that I had no control over. Overall though, my time in the Army was good. It was the only job I've had where I honestly felt pride. It was a job that I was pretty good at, and I met a lot of great people.

Why not go join again? Ha! Easier said than done my friends. I have been out for about 6 years now, and I am not in shape at all. I need to drop about 50 lbs to even consider signing on the dotted line again. But, it may be worth it. Only time will tell. I need to get back into shape regardless if I ever want to join the Army again, so now I've decided to put together an exercise program to trim down a little. Gonna start with some light jogging to get back into the mode and take it from there.

Who knows? Maybe a year from now I'll still be in sales, making that money.. or maybe I'll be back in a patrol car protecting soldiers. Part of me wants to be in uniform, but part of me likes the luxury of not having to be in uniform anymore. I'll keep you posted.