Monday, April 18, 2005

Like a fat kid needs cake, like Jacko needs a sick boy, like a priest needs... well, nevermind

I need it!

Today I was on a scheduled break from work, standing outside with some coworkers when I heard sirens in the distance. Quickly the sound of the sirens got closer, and louder and seemed to multiply when all of a sudden a Maroon colored Chevy Suburban rounded the corner, screeching it's tires and accelerating hard followed by 2 police cars.

The Chase was on. Soon, more police cars were rounding the corner, followed by unmarked cars, all trying to catch up to the truck. At last count, I saw 10 police cars chasing one person. I have no idea what the guy in the Suburban did, but I'm pretty sure he ended up having a bad day.

From start to finish the whole scene lasted about 10 seconds, but I've been thinking about it all day. I miss the days when I was in the squad car, running people down. I worked on a pretty quiet military installation, but I did take part in a couple memorable pursuits. Today was one of those days where a situation makes me re-evaluate things in my life, making me wonder if I'm on the right career path.