Tuesday, July 26, 2005

In Case of Emergency.

Edit: Just saw that the local news station has picked up on this story too.

So I got an email from a cousin today. He's about 15 years older than me, recently retired from the U.S. Navy, and shares some similar political view points, which is always a good thing.

Just two problems though:

1. Even though we feel the same way, politically, he's much more involved than I am. So most emails I get from him are talking points or petitions. I usually just glance at them quickly and then discard them.

2. About 2 years ago he was in a very bad motorcycle accident and nearly died. After a pretty amazing recovery he became very religious. To the point that it turns people off, especially his own mother. It wouldn't be so bad, except he's hooked up with some church I don't know much about. I know it's not mainstream because his mother calls it a "cult". That's all I really need to know about it. So, the rest of his emails to me aren't recruitment emails, but they tend to be the religious chain-mail that I'm sure most people get.

Well, today I got an email from him that didn't fit into either category. It was titled ICE (In Case of Emergency). It's the first time I've seen this email and heard of the concept, and since I've still sort of got my hooks in the law enforcement community, I was suprised that I hadn't heard of it. I think the idea is good enough to post. Feel free to comment and/or suggest something else if you've heard of something better.

On to the email:


Self explanitory; Please make distribution widest possible- Great Idea

ICE - In Case of Emergency

A campaign encouraging people to enter an emergency contact number in
their mobile phone's memory under the heading "ICE" (i.e. In Case of
Emergency), has rapidly spread throughout the world as a particular
consequence of last week's terrorist attacks in London.

Originally established as a nation-wide campaign in the UK, ICE allows
paramedics or police to be able to contact a designated relative
/next-of-kin in an emergency situation.

The idea is the brainchild of East Anglian Ambulance Service paramedic
Bob Brotchie and was launched in May this year. Bob, 41, who has been a
paramedic for 13 years, said: "I was reflecting on some of the calls I've
attended at the roadside where I had to look through the mobile phone
contacts struggling for information on a shocked or injured person."


"Almost everyone carries a mobile phone now, and with ICE we'd know
immediately who to contact and what number to ring. The person may even
know of their medical history."

By adopting the ICE advice, your mobile will help the rescue services
quickly contact a friend or relative - which could be vital in a life or
death situation. It only takes a few seconds to do, and it could easily
help save your life. Why not put ICE in your phone now? Simply select a
new contact in your phone book, enter the word 'ICE' and the number of the
person you wish to be contacted.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.


"We cannot change the wind, only adjust the sails."