Sunday, June 04, 2006

Do it Do it

I had an uncle with a long series of health problems related to Type II diabetes. He's battled through organ transplants, amputations, and infections of all sorts.

The brain aneurisym he had Wednesday morning was a bit of a suprise though, as those types of things usually are. Between the length of time it took for him to be found and the massive hemmoraging he had, the outlook wasn't good. Suprisingly he didn't die instantly, although being in a deep coma isn't much different really.

The doctors said that if he ever did "recover" his quality of life would be low, he's probably require a feeding tube and a ventilator in order to "live". The choice was made to take him off of ventilation and let him go because it was what he said he always wanted if this sort of situation came up. He died Friday morning not long after the ventilator was shut off.

I'm not here to get comments about how you're sorry(thank you though). I know you're all good people and I know what you'd say. What I am here to say is that you should have a living will. It doesn't matter if you're 18 or 80, its so important. Amazingly with all of his previous health issues, he didn't have one. I think that shocked me more than the medical situation that he was in. Fortunately our family was all on the same page with this situation, but it could've been real ugly if someone wasn't willing to let go and honor my uncle's wishes.