Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Unlike Joe, I don't have a nemesis. At least I never thought I did, but apparently someone is out to get me, and I didn't realize it until this morning.

Yesterday before going to work I read this article about Batwoman. In case you're too lazy to read it, I'll recap. DC Comics is bringing Batwoman back from the dead with a twist. They are making her a lesbian. I've never been a comic book fan but I saw a link to that article, and who can resist reading an article about a lesbian superhero?

So I read the article and didn't give it much thought until this morning. On the way home from work I was listening to the local rock station when I heard the daily trivia question about this very topic. My policy is that I never call into radio stations because you either don't get through, you have the correct answer too late, or the prize sucks. Well today the prize did indeed suck, but after 25 minutes or so nobody had the correct answer, so I called in:

DJ: Goodmorning
Me: Hey! I have an answer for ya.
DJ: Cool, what's your guess?
Me: Catwoman.
DJ: No, that's not it sorry.. but you're soo close.
Me: ..... Grrr.. damn, okay.
DJ: What was your answer again?
Me: Catwoman.
DJ: Sorry man, you're close but that's not it. You've had the best guess so far.
Me: Okay, thanks.

You see, I didn't pay much attention beyond the words lesbian when I read the article, so I really thought it was Catwoman. Obviously the DJ was giving me a shot to correct myself and win the crappy prize, but I never even bothered to guess Batwoman because I was 100% sure it was Catwoman.

So they come back from playing a song and I get to hear myself on the radio sounding like a complete ass, how nice is that? Meanwhile I'm positive I had the right answer and I can't wait to hear what "correct" answer was. That took another 10 minutes or so.

I must have a nemesis. Who it is, I don't know.

What I do know is they need a kick in the junk.