Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Some random thoughts and stuff.

I was going to make this a seperate post, but I know that nobody would've read the whole thing, so I'll just say this: The whole situation with Isreal and the Palestinians is very complicated and neither side has clean hands. But as a former soldier I find it very encouraging that a country is willing to put everything they have into finding their kidnapped conscript. That's dedication & loyalty - two traits a soldier is supposed to show towards their country and, unfortunately, usually not shown by their country towards them.

I see Cindy Sheehan is going on a hunger strike this summer. Only going to drink water, supposedly. I hope you get some bacteria infested water and die Cindy. You're a disgrace to your son's memory.

If I were North Korea I would tread lightly. Forget about what Uncle George has to say, I'd worry about Japan. Last time they got pissed off, they conquered the entire Pacific Rim.

Happy belated Fourth of July. I was going to post about this too, but I figured why bother? Hardly anyone celebrates the reason behind the holiday. It's just an excuse to get drunk. I find that very discouraging. (The not remembering part - we all know I like to drink in excess!)

My most memorable Fourth of July celebration happened a few years ago when my then wife was serving overseas in Korea. I took my two children to see the annual fireworks display on base and I just happened to find a patch of grass to sit on that was right next to a WWII vet. Me and my kids sitting next to this guy and his son, who was a Vietnam vet. My kids spent 2 1/2 hours watching fireworks, I spent it asking the old man to tell me another story, and another, and another. Hearing a first hand account of D-day is something everyone should be able to experience. Tom Browkow was right, they were the greatest generation.

As far as my holiday weekend? I spent it on the job. Working a 12 hour shift and walking a post with a pistol on your hip and a machine gun in your hand gives you a lot of time to reflect on the history of our country and a reminder that our independence isn't something to be taken lightly.

Luckily no terrorists jumped the fence. Hopefully they never do.