Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Another one in the books.

Man, it's been a few days since I last posted. You would think that upon returning, I would have a lot of stories to tell.

As usual, that's not the case.

I've accepted a job with a local construction company until I find out whether or not I'll be working at a couple places I've applied with. I'm not doing anything super hard, but it gets me out of the house and a little cash in the pocket always helps, but I don't enjoy getting up at 5am anymore than I did when I was a soldier. Perks of the job I guess.

My weekend consisted of visiting family at a campsite, going to a wedding reception, heading back to the campground for some more beer, and taking in a really, really gay parade in a town about 20 minutes north of my town.

The camping is always fun. Good food cooked over the fire, lots of beer to go around, and funny stories to make the time pass. I wish I had more to say about it, but it was a standard camping trip without any incidents worthy of being blogged.

The wedding reception was pretty fun. A friend of mine, whom I haven't seen in almost 10 years, got married a few months ago, but due to schedules and other issues couldn't have a reception until this weekend. I met up with him at a church hall where family had gathered, food was eaten, and old timers huddled to tell their stories. It was pretty much what you'd expect to see at such events. After that was done, we all went to a sports bar to drink some more. We all had fun, and it was pretty low key. Nobody did anything stupid or embarrassing. I spent $100 in that bar, and had probably the worst hangover I've had in a year to show for it.

I was invited to my new bosses house for food and fireworks on Sunday night. That turned out to be pretty fun, and the fireworks were probably on the wrong side of legal. Lots of shells, some of which didn't blast off on the right trajectory, leaving some very tall and very dry grass on fire. There is nothing funnier than watching 20 drunk people run into a field to stomp out a fire.

By the time last night rolled around, I was mostly running on empty. In fact, our town was putting on a fireworks show and all I had to do was walk about 5 minutes from my house to a public beach in order to see the show, but I said to hell with it and had to settle for listening to the house shake for an hour before I drifted off to sleep.

The construction company doesn't have anything for me to do for the next 2 days, so I'll try to fill the time with something blogworthy. We'll see..