Friday, October 06, 2006

Some of my frequent readers may remember this post, detailing the physical fitness test I was required to take when I was hired for my job.

The powers-that-be decided it wasn't an accurate enough test and scrapped it in favor of a new test:

  1. Sitting to standing position
  2. Run 50 yards in full gear
  3. Simulate opening doors (pull 30lbs twice)
  4. Run 50 yards in full gear
  5. Simulate opening doors (pull 30lbs twice)
  6. Run 50 yards in full gear
  7. Simulate opening doors (pull 30lbs twice)
  8. Run 50 yards in full gear
  9. Simulate opening doors (pull 30lbs twice)
  10. Run 50 yards in full gear
  11. Simulate opening doors (pull 65lbs twice)
  12. Climb one level of the tower and communicate location
Course must be completed in 2:20.

"Full Gear" includes a bullet-proof vest, 9 rifle magazines, 3 pistol magazines, a pistol, and a few other items. My weight plus the gear puts me just under 300 lbs.

The way things are set up now, you have up to 3 chances to pass the test. If you fail all 3 attempts, you'll be fired. There is no longer an alternate run that you can attempt instead. I took the test on Monday and passed with a time of 1:55. I probably could've had a better time. I didn't really push it too hard because there is no incentive to get the best time possible, you just have to pass. Looking back on things, I'm glad the test has been changed. I never want to do that run again.

In other news, I've spent the last few weeks at the race track. I haven't mentioned it because the racing that we do is a pretty much unknown to people outside of the midwest and hasn't been a popular topic on the blog, but I thought I'd post a picture. We run a 3 state circuit, and as of right now our team has a comfortable lead in 2 classes and we are going to finish 5th or 6th in two other classes.

Here's me at the starting line, waiting for the green light: